Early Spanish charts show Long Key as Cayo Vivora, meaning Viper Key. The name of Long Key was cemented when Henry Flagler's railroad reached this area in the early 1900s, as the bridge that reaches southwest to Conch Key was the longest yet constructed along the railroad right-of-way. By 1912, the Keys were easily traversed by rail, allowing passengers to travel to Key West. The upscale Long Key Fishing Camp became a mecca for the world's great saltwater anglers and the rich and famous. This glamorous era came to an end when the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 struck the Middle Keys with devastating force. Long Key State Park officially opened in 1969.